Foundation / Corporation
National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) and Shell
02/04/19 11:59 PM EST
Awards to USA elementary, middle and high school programs in eligible areas for innovative and exceptional science lab instruction. The purpose of this award is to recognize outstanding approaches in science lab instruction that utilize limited laboratory and school resources. This program also seeks to raise awareness and exposure of the outstanding work being done in the science education field.
The new Shell Science Lab Regional Challenge Competition recognizes exceptional and innovative science educators, to recognize outstanding K–12 school programs for their exemplary approaches to science lab instruction utilizing limited school and laboratory resources, and raise awareness and exposure of the outstanding work being done in the science education field in the following states near Shell assets: Alabama, California, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Innovative science inquiry in the classroom with limited laboratory equipment, materials, and resources
- Impact and engagement with students and community
- Need for additional professional development and science materials
- Use of NGSS, state and/or national standards
- Use of safety practices (http://www.nsta.org/about/positions/liability.aspx)
- Agree to provide pre and post impact assessment of students performance, professional development at NSTA conferences, and Carolina Biological materials used, and Smithsonian curriculum at the K-8 levels
GrantWatch ID#: 184712
36 regional winners and a grand prize winner for each grade band chosen from the pool of regional winners, for year 2 recognition.
- One Elementary and one Middle School from each asset will each receive a lab makeover with professional development support package* valued up to $10,000**.
- One High School from each asset will receive a lab makeover with professional development support package* valued up to $15,000.
- Prizes include lab equipment from Carolina Biological Supply Company ($5k for elementary/middle; $10k for high schools), NSTA STEM Forum on science education, NSTA membership, NSTA Learning Center.
- A grand prize school will be selected for each grade band,the winning school’s principal and teacher will receive an additional prize package to attend NSTA’s national conference on science education.
- The Grand Prize Winners and their principals will be honored at the Teacher Awards Gala and Shell Reception at NSTA’s National Conference on Science Education, during the second year.
**Each elementary and middle school will be required to order the Smithsonian kits as part of their support package.
*Professional development includes the Smithsonian Institution (K-8); Carolina Biological; and the NSTA Learning Center.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit a nomination:
For more information contact Amanda Upton, the Shell Science Lab Regional Challenge Competition liaison, at 703.312.9217 or email@example.com.
National Science Teachers Association
1840 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington VA 22201
In specified eligible area school districts.
USA: Alabama: Mobile; California: Martinez and Carson; Louisiana: Convent and Geismar, and New Orleans ; Pennsylvania: Monaca ; Texas: Deer Park, Houston, and Kermit; Washington: Puget Sound