Foundation / Corporation
FACE (French American Cultural Exchange) Foundation and Book Department of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy
Grants and awards to USA publishers, translators, authors, and literary agents for the translation and subsequent publication of French literary works for English-speaking audiences. Funding will be awarded for both fiction and nonfiction works, as well as for poetry, digital books, and comic books.
The Book Department of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy works with FACE (French American Cultural Exchange), the Institut français and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to promote French and Francophone literature and to encourage English translations of French fiction and non-fiction. It oversees three bi-annual Translation Assistance Programs concerning translations from French into English of works that have not yet been published in the United States. All these grants are awarded to fiction and non fiction translations (including comic books, poetry and digital books).
The Translation Assistance Programs offers the following grants and awards:
1) The French Voices Award honors both translators and American publishers for English translations of works that have been published in France in the last six years. Award recipients are selected by a literary committee. Each book receives a $6,000 award.
Furthermore, the French Voices Committee will now choose for each year two Grand Prize Winners, one in fiction, one in nonfiction. The winners will receive $10,000 in total ($6,000 to cover the preface and the publishing costs and a $4,000 non-negotiable bonus to be allocated to the translator; and respectively $7,000 and $3,000 in case of a comic book or picture book). The French author of the translated book will also be awarded the opportunity to do a book tour in the US.
2) The Hemingway Grant allows publishers to receive financial help for the translation and publication of a French work into English. Grant beneficiaries are selected by the Book Department of the French Embassy in the United States. Grants awarded for each work range from $500 to $3,000.
3) The Acquisition of Rights Program helps American publishers offset the cost of acquiring the rights to French works. Grant beneficiaries are selected by the Institut français in Paris. The amount awarded cannot exceed the amount of the advance paid to the French publisher for the acquisition of rights and varies from 500 to 7,000 Euros.
GrantWatch ID#: 179274
- French Voices Award: $6,000
- French Voices Award Grand Prize: $10,000
- Hemingway Grant: $500 - $3,000
- Acquisition of Rights: 500 - 7,000 Euros
Expected date of printing: no sooner than January 2020 (Acquisition of rights) and March 2020 (Hemingway Grant and French Voices Awards) for this session.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: http://face-foundation.org/books-applications/apply/
Cultural Services of the French Embassy
Translation Assistance Programs
972 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10075
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming