Foundation / Corporation
New Music USA
01/31/19 5:00 PM ET
Grants ranging from $250 to $15,000 to USA organizations and individuals for a broad range of music-related projects. Funding is intended for any activity that entails new music being released through a recording or a live performance. The Fund is especially interested in paying artists directly for their work, whether that’s creating, engaging, performing, or something else.
Special emphasis is placed on
- The creation of new musical work;
- New live music for dance;
- Recording costs;
- Residency and community outreach activities.
The Fund is interested in making sure that they award a lot of smaller grants along with the larger ones, so they will continue to place emphasis on requests of $3,000 and below.
In addition to funding, awardees also gain access to New Music USA’s public network. By promoting awarded projects through social media, email, and New Music USA’s deep connections within the field, New Music USA works tirelessly to build a community around projects while supporting awarded artists as they develop their work.
GrantWatch ID#: 178453
Awards can range between $250 and $15,000.
Projects can take place up to two years past the deadline (January 2021) or retroactively up to the previous deadline (December 2017).
Requests can come from individuals or organizations based in the USA.
There are activities that New Music USA is unable to support. In particular:
- Projects in which work is not in some way delivered or disseminated publicly through performance, recording, etc.
- Expenses that are not connected specifically to a project, including general administrative expenses
- Expenses related to purchasing equipment, instruments, computers or software
- Competitions or contests
- Tuition expenses
- Professional development
- Benefits or fundraisers
- Funds for artists and organizations based outside of the USA
- Projects with less than 300 words in the project narratives may potentially not move forward to panel.
- If the scope or purpose of your project is unclear from the project description, it will not move forward to the panel.
- Typically, projects with only one work sample tend not to score well in the panel process. Therefore, if the volume of submissions is high, our staff reserves the right to not advance a project to panel review if the project only contains one work sample.
The deadline for submission will be 5:00 PM Eastern Time on Thursday, January 31, 2019. The online system will open on December 3, 2018. Notification will be sent via email before June 30.
In the interest of resources reaching as many deserving artists as possible, it is less likely that a given individual or organization will receive multiple awards. Please use your best judgment when deciding whether to submit multiple projects.
Public Profiles: https://www.newmusicusa.org/content/populating-your-public-profile/
Panelist Criteria for Project Grants: https://www.newmusicusa.org/content/panelist-criteria-for-project-grants/
Published Project Pages: https://www.newmusicusa.org/all-projects
Do's and Don'ts for Work Samples: https://www.newmusicusa.org/making-your-work-samples-the-best-they-can-be/
Helpful Tips: https://www.newmusicusa.org/content/project-grants-helpful-tips-from-the-grants-team/
Google Hangouts page: https://www.newmusicusa.org/catch-up-on-the-project-grants-google-hangouts/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register for a profile to apply online: https://www.newmusicusa.org/login?action=register
Log into existing profile: https://newmusicusa.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/281656-profiles
Please make sure you have whitelisted email@example.com to ensure you receive an email notification about your application. Use this email address for questions as well.
New Music USA
90 Broad St. Suite 1902
New York, NY 10004
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming