Foundation / Corporation
America in Bloom (AIB) and CN
Grants of $25,000 to USA nonprofit organizations and government agencies in eligible states for community beautification and public greening projects. Eligible projects will improve the environment through natural landscaping, ground cover improvement, floral displays, and healthy urban forests along CN's rail lines. Priority will be given to high-profile, significant landscapes that are accessible to the public and are in need of beautification.
Eligible states include Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Wisconsin; in the areas along the CN corridor.
Successful projects will leverage the power of flowers, plants, shrubs and trees to bring multiple benefits to the community. They will demonstrate how community beautification will improve economic vitality, boost civic pride, encourage active enjoyment of the landscape and improve quality of life. Projects that also contribute ecosystem services such as air and water quality improvements, stormwater benefits, screening, energy conservation and habitat are favored.
The Foundation believes that working together to create lasting, beautiful landscapes also builds community. Successful projects will involve many partners (municipality, businesses, institutions, residents, community groups, organizations) in planning, fundraising, site preparation, planting and maintenance.
Eligible for funding:
- Preparing the site as it pertains to the plantings (grading, bed preparation) but not removing large areas of concrete or modifications to existing infrastructure
- Purchase and/or planting of trees and shrubs
- Materials (guards, mulch, stakes, mycorrhizae fungal associate)
- Maintenance pertaining to planting such as Gator bags, irrigation equipment if installed at same time as trees are being planted
- Educational materials and promotional material to inform community on the project
For a list of project objectives for this grant, see the RFP below.
GrantWatch ID#: 167091
Municipalities, townships, other local governments and locally active nonprofit groups in communities neighboring CN rail lines in the US are eligible to apply.
Non-eligible for funding:
- Salaries for planning and administration
- Hard landscape components irrigation (if trees are not being planted), paving, infrastructure, removal of concrete, benches)
- Permanent signage (as CN provides a commemorative sign to recipients)
- Norway maple and its cultivars are not to be planted as they are exotic and invasive, nor are any ash trees (due to the emerald ash borer), or any other such vulnerable species
- Urban furniture
- Play structures
- Annual maintenance (although plans must show how annual maintenance will be performed)
Applications are due by February 1, 2019. Grantees will be notified in late February.
CN EcoConnexions From the Ground Up will provide funding, however it will not fund more than 50% of project costs. Preference will be given to projects that can demonstrate multiple funding sources. A minimum of 50% matching funding must come from other sources (such as municipalities, service clubs, donations, etc.) and can include in-kind contributions.
CN Railway Map: https://www.cn.ca/en/our-services/maps-and-network
USA: Alabama; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kentucky; Louisiana; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Nebraska; Ohio; Pennsylvania; Tennessee; Wisconsin