Foundation / Corporation
11/15/17 Received or Post-Marked by Date
Fellowships of $10,000 to USA, Canada, and International women pursuing a Ph.D. or doctoral degree in the fields of aerospace-related sciences or aerospace-related engineering. Funding may be used for tuition at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees, or for books and fees, or living expenses (room, board or travel).
For domestic and foreign recipients studying in the United States, Fellowship funds used for tuition, books, fees, supplies or required equipment for the program of study are not considered taxable income. Withholding taxes may be required on funds used for living expenses or other non-qualified expenses, e.g. room, board or travel to conferences.
Recipients are not permitted to defer the Fellowship.
Fellows may accept additional grants and scholarships from other sources.
GrantWatch ID#: 160895
The payment of $10,000 is planned for September-October subject to any US sanctions regulation.
- Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record in the field of aerospace-related sciences or aerospace-related engineering are eligible.
- Students must be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and completed at least one year of that program, or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-related field at the time the application is submitted.
- Applicants must not graduate from their Ph.D. or doctoral program before April 2019.
Applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrate a superior academic record at a recognized university or college with accredited courses in aerospace-related studies as verified by official transcripts and recommendations. In programs where graduate transcripts are not provided as a matter of institutional policy, please provide a statement of that policy from the registrar or other school official. Please note that links from universities containing electronic transcripts will not be accepted.
- Provide evidence of a well-defined research program in aerospace-related science or aerospace- related engineering as described in the application essay (in general scientific terms), the academic documents (references, transcripts, verification of enrollment) and the list of publications (Note: please do not attach publications; citing the references is sufficient).
- Clearly demonstrate the relationship of the research to aerospace and furnish verification of research program through at least one of the reference letters required with the application. The thesis supervisor or advisor and a university professor must each be one of the referees.
- Applicant must be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program by 15 November 2018 and must not graduate before April 2019.
- Post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Members and employees of Zonta International or the Zonta International Foundation are also not eligible to apply for the Fellowship.
- Previous Amelia Earhart Fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download the application.
Club members may click here to access other materials, such as the 2018 poster, sample news releases and more:
Application Submission Instructions:
Applications are accepted by email or regular mail; however, email submissions are preferred. Applications submitted by email must be signed and sent as a PDF. Recommendations submitted by regular mail must be confidential and enclosed in a sealed envelope signed by the referee. If the recommendations are being submitted via email by referees, a recommendation waiver form must accompany each recommendation. All recommendation letters must be signed by the referees. The official detailed transcripts and verification of enrollment can also be submitted by email as long as they are signed and sent as a PDF in color. If not able to scan in color, please submit the official detailed transcripts and verification of enrollment via regular mail.
The application and material listed above for 2018 Amelia Earhart Fellowships must be received or post-marked by November 15, 2017 to be considered. Applications that are incomplete or late due to postal delays will not be considered. All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email applications to email@example.com.
Mail applications to:
1211 West 22nd Street, Suite 900
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Phone: +1(630) 928-1400
Fax: +1(630) 928-1559
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.